Saturday, January 3, 2009

835 Hrs.

I could not update yesterday because my internet was down. Thankfully, someone from AT&T came out today to resolve that for me.

Yesterday, Cory and his parents and myself set out at 5:30 a.m. so we could catch a couple of buses to the Miami Airport to pick up a rental car. The morning was almost a disaster because we had to wait FOREVER for a shuttle to the car rental place, and the only number we had to call was not being picked up. We finally got our car, though, and set out for the Florida Keys. Key West is about a four hour trip from my apartment, and the way there is a series of bridges connecting a lot of the Keys and other tiny islands. Driving through the various Keys, the Atlantic Ocean, the Gulf of Mexico, and Everglades National park was beautiful, and we stopped once on the Bahia Honda Key in order to eat the lunch we had taken with us. Shortly after making it to Key West, a bicyclist hit and scratched our rental car with his bike, so we had to take some time to deal with that. For the rest of the day until sunset, we visited Hemmingway's house, the Little White House, Mallory Square, the southernmost point of the United States, and we traveled down mile-long Duval Street, which allowed us to see the Atlantic Ocean at one end and the Gulf of Mexico at the other. I finally got into bed around midnight.

Today, I had to wake up at 4:00 a.m. so Cory and I could drop off his parents at the Fort Lauderdale Airport and return the rental car to the Miami airport before 7:00 a.m. The bus we were waiting for at first at the Miami airport never showed up, so I was really worried about making it back to my apartment before the AT&T guy got there; he was scheduled to be there sometime between 8:00 a.m. and noon. Thankfully, we made it back only a little bit after 8:00 a.m., and I was able to take a short nap before the technician arrived at 10:00 a.m. For dinner, I was able to cook pizza in my new oven! After living in my apartment for four months, I feel that it is about time I had a working oven!

Since I have to go back to work on Monday, I plan to spend the res of my weekend doing nothing but relaxing. I can't believe this is the last break I get until the end of June. : (

-Aly

No comments: