Sunday, November 23, 2008

574.25 Hrs.

Miami weather is beautiful once again. I think that 80 degrees may be the average for today. Even though I am loving the sun and the warm weather, I am hoping that I see at least a little snow when I go back to Michigan this coming weekend.

Nothing much has been happening with me in the past few days. Things have been running smoothly at the school. The BBL that I planned for this week went over really well, too. The kids have also been absolutely LOVING Starfish Corps, and the lesson that I got to plan for Thursday seemed to be a big hit. On Friday, part of the day was a service day, so I spent my morning painting the outside of a building that is on its way to becoming a school. The cool part of the morning was that my commute to the service site was only five minutes! That is a huge difference from the two hour commute I normally have to take.

On Friday afternoon, we had a college fair/life after City Year fair, the result of which is that I am now seriously considering joining the Peace Corps after I graduate from college. We'll see what happens in the next couple of years, though.

Yesterday, I attended Team Leader orientation for Young Heroes. Young Heroes is the Middle School version of City Year. Last week, I applied and was accepted for a Team Leader position, so yesterday was my orientation day. Starting in January, every Saturday I will be spending my day leading a group of Middle School students in this awesome program.

-Aly

No comments: