Tuesday, December 9, 2008

664.5 Hrs.

Quick to help. That is part of the City Year pledge. Remember that I was trying to do just that while you read my story below.

Since it is very late, I only have time to summarize a little bit of my day for you before I crash into bed.

School today was fine, other than the fact that all of my kids seemed to want to pay attention less than usual.

After getting home, I took Francheska for a walk, and was followed home by two humongous yellow dogs. When I say "followed home", I mean that they literally followed me into my apartment! For those of you who don't know, I am actually very afraid of dogs, so this is not something I would do if I was of my right mind. I gave them some food and water and called the ASPCA right away, but it was hard to get a hold of anyone since it was already 8:00 p.m. When I finally got into contact with someone, they said that they couldn't pick one of them up for three days! They said they could pick one up within twelve hours, since I told them it had a huge gash on its leg and was bleeding, but the other would have to stay here for three more days. After speaking with the animal services people, I was able to convince three of my friends to keep them in their garage for three days and for one of them to pick them up with his car. In the meantime, I found out that the dogs knew how to sit, come, and shake. They were very friendly, and had a good time playing with all of the cat toys in my apartment. They were very skinny, however, and I could see all of their ribs. They gulped down about ten bowls of water and a couple of cups of food each. Unfortunately, they were also crawling with fleas. : ( Within thirty minutes, though, animal services arrived and took them both away. I kind of already miss them. : (

No comments: