Saturday, February 7, 2009

1,094.75 Hrs.

Yesterday was another LD Day in the office, and gave us time to plan with our teams, meet with our committees, and learn about Black History, health, and the environment. At the end of the day, the corps got together to take a group picture, which I think will turn out to look really cool! Yesterday was a pretty good day because there was very little down time. Usually on Fridays in the office, a lot of the day is spent, I feel, doing absolutely nothing, and I really dislike that about Fridays.

Today was a YH Saturday, and the theme was "Exploring the Elder Generation". Throughout the day, the students learned all about ageism and stereotypes, and hopefully learned a little bit more about what life is like for the elderly. All too often, young people think of the elderly as "slow", "good for nothing", or "lazy", and this is the viewpoint that we tried to change today. For the service portion of the day, some of the time was spent making cards and tissue-paper flowers for residents of an elderly care facility in Miami, and the rest of the time was spent on a "people scavenger hunt". What this meant was that we let the students walk around downtown Miami in hopes that they would meet as many people as possible from a wide range of age groups. What fun!

After YH, I walked to the grocery store for my groceries for the week. I bought myself some items so I coul make eggplant parmesean, which will be the first real cooking I will be doing since moving down here six months ago. I have always been too exhausted or too rushed to cook, but I am really getting tired of macaroni and cheese and frozen pizza!

-Aly

No comments: