Wednesday, February 18, 2009

1,164.25 Hrs.

How do the weeks go by so quickly? How is it already Wednesday again?

My mornings seem so empty now without my first graders. Instead of starting work at 8:45 a.m., I now don't start until 9:30 a.m. (although I still arrive at the school around 7:45). That extra time I am now able to use as planning time.

In one of my small groups today, I was speaking with one of my students who is always goofing off and not paying attention, and she finally confessed to me that she acts the way she does because the work is to hard for her. After promising her that I am here only to help her and that I will help her with anything any time she needs it, her attitude changed drastically for the better. : )

With my first grade small group today, we made flashcards. The kids loved using the markers and notecards! When I was in grade school and college, I made flashcards for EVERYTHING - that was my main study method, and I bought 3x5 cards by the thousands. Now that I am teaching lots of kids and have an extremely limited income, getting ahold of even ten notecards is a luxury! Today, the notecards I was using were provided by the kids' classroom teacher.

The rest of my day was packed since Wednesdays are early-release days and also because this week is one of the weeks we do a BBL lesson.

The kids in my after-school program couldn't stop talking today! I had to yell over them for an entire two hours, and now my throat hurts like crazy.

After work, a couple of my teammates and myself stayed to clean our classroom. What a mess!

-Aly

No comments: