Friday, February 20, 2009

1,181.5 Hrs.

Thursday, I spent most of my day in the office instead of at R. R. Moton. This is because I was preparing today's Daily Briefing. The Daily Briefing (D.B.) is a kind of newsletter that is distributed to the corps at each Friday morning Unity Rally. I was asked to create the DB we used today.

Today, half of the corps, including myself, was supposed to help build with Habitat for Humanity. They actually ended up finishing the house early, though, so today we just helped reorganize their warehouse and store. My team had to sort and move thousands and thousands of hurricane shutters. For those of you from the north who don't know what hurricane shutters are, they are corrugated pieces of thin but sturdy metal that is placed over windows in preparation for a hurricane. Some of them are just made out of tin, but some are made out of steel and are very heavy. My team's job was to sort them into piles according to length, which wasn't very easy since it seemed as every single one had its own unique length. After sorting them, we had to put them nicely back on the shelves. This took us about seven and a half hours, but we were finally able to finish. I have never been so exhausted in my whole life.

I was embarrassed because I was apparently too weak to effectively move the shutters, so I was put on my own "special" project. This project consisted of me picking up all the tiny shutter pieces and putting them into a bucket. : ( That only took me a little while, though, so I made sure to try even harder to be helpful when I went back to the original project! Why am I so pathetic?

Tomorrow is a Young Heroes Saturday, and we will be learning about the influence of drugs and alcohol.

Sunday, I plan to recuperate from the past week and rest up for the week ahead.

-Aly

No comments: