Friday, August 22, 2008

Life of a Miamian Part II

Today, Beth and I discovered just how strange some of the people in Miami really are.

After waiting until 4:00 to have management fix our stove, Beth and I headed out to South Beach once again. The first thing we did after getting off the bus was to find a place where we could buy a bus pass for the month of September. We found a drugstore that sold them, walked in, and stood in line for a little while before being helped. The young lady standing in line in front of us was wearing all black, a whole bunch of chains, and only part of a shirt. After a few minutes, she started digging around in her "shirt", and finally produced a rat. She proceeded to put the rat on her shoulder so that it could crawl around in her hair and over her shoulders. That was interesting person #1.

After that, Beth and I went to the Wolfsonian, which is an art collection owned by FIU. A man by the name of Wolfson was a collector of modern American art and previously owned all of the art in that warehouse before donating it to FIU. It was really a very fascinating collection, and most of it was American war propaganda from WWII or art that was commissioned as part of Roosevelt's New Deal.

When the museum closed, we took the bus back home. After getting off the bus and while taking the short walk back to our apartment, Beth and I met interesting person #2. This guy walked up to us and asked us our names, and when Beth said, "I don't have one," he said, "I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to her," (meaning me). Beth said "she doesn't have one either," and we quickly walked toward the security gate and the door of our apartment. A few minutes later I took Francheska out for a walk, and he was standing outside our door and asked my name again. Without saying anything, I turned around and went back into my apartment. Since Francheska still had to go out, Beth and I decided to take a walk together toward the security booth in case that guy followed us again. We didn't see him again, but just now when Beth and I took our laptops down to the pool to use their internet, we saw him working out in the gym. Creepy.

Now what am I doing? Sitting on the edge of the pool with my feet in the water while I type up this blog post. Paradise.

CYM countdown: 6 days

-Aly

No comments: