Friday, August 29, 2008

Registration Day and a Night on the Town

Today was City Year registration day! If you think that it sounds exciting, know that it really was not. It was great to finally be starting something that I have been anticipating for so long, but what it turned out to be was four hours of filling out paperwork. Sorry, but nothing exciting to report there.

In the evening, a group of six City Year members went out to Viernes Culturales. What that is is a festival that is held in Little Havana on the last Friday evening of every month. The festival is held on Calle Ocho (eighth street), and involves music, dancing, free food, art, and lots of fun. The experience was fun overall, but what was not fun was getting to and from Calle Ocho. On the way there, we got off the bus at the wrong stop, couldn't find the next bus, and ended up wandering around the not-so-great parts of Miami before finally stumbling upon Calle Ocho. On the trip home, was missed the last bus out of Little Havana and had to bribe one of our friends with a car to pick all six of us up and drive us home.

When I got home and took Francheska out for one last walk before bed, she stepped in something in the grass, jumped back out of the grass onto the sidewalk, and started shaking her paw and biting at it. I carried her home, but she shrieked and whined the whole way. One we got back to the apartment, she started to frantically lick her foot, and wouldn't put any weight on it. I couldn't see anything in her paw, but she began to get very upset and pant. Since it was 12:30 am, the only way I could get to a vet was to beg another one of my friends to drive me there, but it turned out that I couldn't go to a vet anyway since I have no money, and they need the money on the spot when they treat her. Right now, she is curled up under my bed, holding her feebly shaking paw in the air as she winces.

-Aly

No comments: