Wednesday, October 1, 2008

233 Hrs.

I definitely had a rough day today.

The first thing my team did this morning was head down to the library so we could be taped for the tv morning announcements. The students don't realize that those morning announcements don't broadcast to everyone else in the world, so they now think we are movie stars!

After the taping, we went to the classrooms for our one-on-one tutoring sessions. During these sessions, we will be spending some time with a particular student in a class, and will be sitting with them at their desks during that time to help them with whatever they are working on. This was one of the rough parts of the day, because the teachers I had to work with were really mean and made it very clear that they did not want me in the classroom.

After an hour and a half in the classrooms, we had a short lunch break. During this time, I snuck into the orchestra class. When the teacher began tuning all of the students' instruments, I offered help, which she gladly accepted. When I started tuning, the students said to me "Miss Alyssa, you know how to tune instruments?!?!?!" To which I replied, "Yes, and I know how to play them too." "Wow, I bet you're really good!" they said. : )

When the afternoon began, I went to some of the small group tutoring so I could observe and better ready myself for Monday. Unfortunately, I realized that one of the third graders who will be in one of my small groups can not read at all. During the lesson, the teacher just had all seven of the students read the passages together. I noticed that one boy wasn't reading aloud at all, and that when he was following along on the page with his finger, he would keep going forward with his finger even when the other students would go back to correct themselves on something they had read. After a while, the student would get lost and just stare at the page until I would help him find his place again. That made me very sad.

At the end of the day, my teammates and I stayed after school for a few hours to help some of the students with their homework.

-Aly

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you Alyssa! You are going to make a huge impact on several kids lives, and they will be better people because of you. I am honored to call you my wife and my best friend. Good luck, I'm sure you'll do great.

I miss you tons!

p.s. You never gave me a shout out :-(