Saturday, October 25, 2008

387.5 Hrs.

Thank goodness for another weekend.

Wednesday and Thursday were much of the same for City Year - tutoring small groups all day, and then homework help and the creative writing club in the afternoon.

Friday was another frustrating Friday in the office; it felt like we accomplished absolutely nothing. Other than thirty minutes spent completing our CPR certifications, the rest of the day consisted of everyone sitting around the office by themselves or in groups "planning" for next week in the schools. My very biggest pet peeve of all time is wasted time, so it is difficult for me to have a positive attitude about our Fridays spent in the CY office when I feel that I could be doing something more productive somewhere else. I do see, however, how the time "planning" could have been spent in a more effective way by teams who have planning to do. This weekend, I plan to work more on completing my to-do list, which is still insanely long.

Something exciting did happen on Thursday, though. My Program Manager, Mitch, asked me on Friday if I would like to be one of two members of our team participate in a new discipline program that our school will be implementing this year. The program is going to be a step before suspension, and will consist of character building for students who have been having behavior problems. Bernard and my job will be to spend two weeks with kids in the program talking to them about why they act up and what some better outlets could be for their anger or frustration. Participating in this program will mean that I don't get to take such an active role in my club, but that is fine with me since I'm not as passionate about creative writing as I was about a newspaper club.

-Aly

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the bratty kids!!!