Wednesday, October 8, 2008

280 Hrs.

Wow, have I been busy lately! I'm sorry I have not posted in five days, Faithful Readers, but things around here have been pretty crazy.

Let's start with Saturday. I woke up early to do my laundry (8:00), but that was still not early enough, so I had to wait around for quite a while until the machines were empty. That afternoon, I went over to Trevor's house to use his t.v. to watch the University of Michigan homecoming football game, which was a HUGE mistake because it wasn't very fun to watch us get beat 20-45. : ( Later that evening, a couple more of our friends joined us for a movie night.

On Sunday, I went to church, and that was about it, other than catching up on my sleep.

Monday was the first day of our regular schedule at the school. From 8:30 to 10:00, I have three students that I help for 30 minutes each. During this time, I help them with whatever they are working on in the class at that moment. From 10:00 to 11:30, I eat lunch and help anyone I can find to help. On Monday, I kept order in the lunchroom for a while since the staff was short today, and then I helped the librarian for a little bit since she pulled a muscle in her neck and can't bend over. From 11:30-12:00, I tutor a group of five children in reading. After that, I find myself more work to do until 2:00, which is when I have another small-group tutoring session for 30 minutes. At 3:00, we all go outside to help with the buses and child pick-up. When that is over, we go to the "cafetorium" to help the latchkey kids with their homework until 5:00, when I catch a bus for my two hour commute back home.

On Tuesday, things were pretty much the same. During my break times, I helped in the orchestra classroom. After school, our City Year team attended a staff meeting so we could introduce ourselves to everyone at the same time.

Today, the schedule was a little different since the children are dismissed an hour earlier on Wednesdays. This morning, two of my individual tutoring students were absent, so instead I helped the kindergarten and first grade students learn about safety (look both ways before you cross the street). During my break times, I helped out in the library and with the special education students. On Wednesdays, the afternoon small group sessions are pushed earlier, but unfortunately one of my groups forgot about meeting today, so we missed that session.

Technically, my day isn't over yet-I'm typing this on the computer in my classroom right now so that I don't go home and feel too tired to update you all. When school is dismissed in 15 minutes, I should be helping with the pick-up and with homework help. Hopefully we'll get to leave on time tonight!

Oh, and guess what? I get to go home for Thanksgiving! If any of you are going to be in town then, let me know!

-Aly

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see you, my love!!! :-)