Wednesday, May 13, 2009

1,593.25 Hrs.

Today was an exciting day. This morning with my first-grader Jeremiah, we had a "Greece party". A couple of days ago, I took hummus to school for lunch, and let Jeremiah and Javon, a first-grader that Madeline works with, try some. They loved it! Since I thought that they probably don't get a lot of chances in their lives to experience cultures outside their own, Madeline and I decided to make a lesson about it. Today, we taught the boys a little bit about where Greece is and what their alphabet letters look like, and we also had hummus, pitas, pita chips, taboule, grapes, grape juice, yogurt with honey, and dark chocolate. Javon loved it all and shoveled as much as he could into his mouth, but I'm not sure that Jeremiah liked much of it.

Today was also the first "official" day of our Starfish Corps fundraiser for St. Jude, and we collected $90.03! Our goal is $250, but with eight days to go, I know we will be able to raise that amount. $90.03 is 9,003 pennies, though, so I spent a lot of my day today counting change.

After school, we ran the SFC collage lesson again, this time for the Wednesday/Thursday group. This group was a lot better behaved than the Monday/Tuesday group, so I don't quite feel right now like my head is ready to explode.

After work, Mr. Moss again treated City Year to dinner. : D

-Aly

DUG: 35

No comments: