Sunday, March 22, 2009

1,368.25 Hrs.

What a long, exhausting, terrible week! I hope you all will forgive me for neglecting my blog for so long after you hear what has been happening with me.

Tuesday was the last day of FCAT testing. Yay! I served as a proctor in the morning, and then worked with my third, fourth, and fifth grade intervention groups during the afternoon. In the morning, I felt a little queasy, but just attributed that to not eating a good enough breakfast, and did my best to ignore the nausea. My P.M., Mitch, happened to be visiting the school during lunch, so he took those of us who were interested in his car to Burger King. I was really excited about the great lunch I had made for myself and brought, but went along for the ride so I could get french fries and a soda. When I got back, however, I wasn't feeling too well after eating the fries, so I left my lunch in the fridge to eat the next day. By the time we did BBL at 2:00, I was really feeling tired and lethargic, so I took a short nap after the students were dismissed from school since J.A. had been cancelled for the entire week. On the train home at 5:00, I suddenly felt like I had a fever, so I stopped at Walgreens on my way home to buy a thermometer, which told me I had a fever of only 99 degrees. Over the next hour, however, that fever steadily increased to 105. I was also concerned about my ear, which was swollen and hard to hear out of, and had been that way for the past week. I e-mailed Mitch to see what would happen if I missed work the next day due to a hospital stay (since I have no more sick days to use this year), and he volunteered to drive up from his home in South Miami (which is about a 45 minute drive) in order to drive me to the hospital. I spent that night in the Emergency Room, and was told that I had an infection in my middle ear, and a case of bronchitis. Mitch drove me home at 3:30 a.m. with a perscription for antibiotics and orders to stay home until Friday.

On Wednesday, I woke up feeling even worse. The doctors at the hospital had been able to get rid of my fever and sore throat the night before, but both were back with a vengence. I could not even sit up in bed, much less make the fifteen-minute walk to the pharmacy to have my perscription filled or to get anything else I needed. Out of desperation, I called Mitch again, and he drove to my apartment to get the perscription so he could fill it for me.

On Thursday, I started to feel a little better, and was able to get out of bed for a little while. I could still not get rid of my fever, though.

At around 1:30 a.m. on Friday morning, I woke up and could not breathe. I crawled to Beth's room and banged on her door so she could wake up and call 911 for me. A couple of minutes later, Beth and I went off to the hospital in the ambulance. I stayed at the hospital this time for another 7.5 hours. After a bunch of tests were run, I was told that my infection had spread even further and had given me strep throat. I was sent home with even more antibiotics, and Beth was allowed to take the day off work to stay home with me.

On Saturday, I woke up feeling a lot better, and had the bright idea that I could walk to the grocery store for myself. After trying that, I was so worn out that I could not get out of bed again for the rest of the day.

Today, I woke up without a fever, which is the first time my temperature has been back to normal in about five days. My throat doesn't even hurt anymore, but I still do not have even the least bit of a voice. Even whispering takes the energy out of my and causes me to go into a coughing fit. I am supposed to be on bed rest until Tuesday, which is when I can go back to work, but I am concerned about how I will teach if I have no voice. Charades, maybe?

It broke my heart not being able to go to church or Bible study this morning. : ( Stupid bed rest...

-Aly

DUG: 88

No comments: