Wednesday, March 25, 2009

1,386 Hrs.

Today was such a great day with City Year!

The day today was fairly short and easy, since the team left R. R. Moton at noon to drive up north to visit the offices of Comcast, which is the sponsor for our team. The people who we met at Comcast were extremely warm, welcoming, and supportive of City Year, and it felt good to know that we have such people behind us and the work we do. We had a round-table discussion with two representatives from the company, which gave us some time to introduce ourselves to them and for them to ask us some questions about the work we do at Moton. Not every school-based team gets their own individual sponsor, so we are especially lucky to be paired with a sponsor that has supported City Year so strongly and for so many years.

At the school today, my fourth grade intervention group was so awesome that I was almost in tears! They are usually my best group, but I wasn't expecting much today since they were so terrible yesterday. They, however, were early, attentive, respectful, quiet, and interested in the lesson, and it totally blew me away when they acknowledged how much better the session is if I don't have to yell at them. Afterwards, on the way to lunch, they even walked in a quiet line to the lunchroom instead of running down the halls screaming. I don't know what happened to them today, but I would give ANYTHING to see that behavior again.

-Aly

DUG: 84

No comments: