Wednesday, September 17, 2008

142 Hrs.

Today was yet another emotionally draining day. The reason for this may be the incredibly low maturity level that a lot of the corp has been experiencing lately, but this may also be because of a few other specific things that happened throughout the course of today.

This morning started out with the whole corp practicing P.T. They announced yesterday that about six corp members will get the chance to lead it on opening day, and I really want to be one of those people, so I worked really hard at it today. I specifically wore pants today so that I would be able to stretch my legs all the way during the exercises, and I made sure to yell the loudest and be the most enthusiastic. It was most definitely hot outside during P.T., but it didn't bother me too much since I was trying so hard to do a great job.

After P.T., we went back to the office and did a spiderweb game. For this game, one person held on the the end of a piece of thread, and then passed the spool to someone they felt connected to and explained why they felt that connection. The second person would then wrap the thread around their finger and then pass the spool to someone they felt a connection to. The end result was that every member of the corp was connected to everyone else by the spiderweb. That game made my day because my friend Brian passed the string to me and said he felt connected to me since we are going to get married someday! The explanation behind that joke is that Brian apparently has aspired to be the First Gentleman since the age of ten, and since I am going to be the President of the United States someday, Brian seems to think that he needs to marry me. The joke was even funnier, though, since almost no City Year members had heard us joking about that, so it came completely out of the blue for most of them that Brian and I are going to get married. The corp members couldn't stop laughing after Brian said what he said, and neither could I!

After that, the rest of the day was taken up with workshops focused on public speaking, which were very basic and only presented information that I was already familiar with. It is always good to reiterate the basics, though, I guess.

Wow! I can't believe it is already 9:00 p.m., and I feel like I haven't done anything since I got home. I think I'm going to go to bed now, though, since I REALLY need to catch up on my sleep. Good night, everyone.

-Aly

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OOps, spelling mistake. *Brian
All fixed. Don't tell Brian I messed up, or Brian for that matter.