Tuesday, September 23, 2008

179 Hrs.

Today was the first day we got to wear our uniforms! I was super excited about this for several reasons, one reason being that we were not told we would have to wear business casual every day during BTA, so I did not pack much of that to bring with me to Miami and all I had to wear was one black skirt and one pair of terrible black high heels along with a couple of tops. The uniforms look pretty dorky (brown Timberland work boots, khaki pants with the elastic waistband sitting above my belly button, and a white polo shirt that I swim in because it is so large), but it looks very nice and is incredibly comfortable. I was also excited to get the backpack that is part of our uniform since the only purse that I thought to bring with me is a small purple wristlet.

This morning, Charlie Rose, who is the Vice President and Dean of City Year, visited our office. He was given a tour of our office, and after lunch he spoke to us for a while about his life and the work he has done with City Year and other organizations. The rest of the day was the Red Jacket Ceremony. During this ceremony, we all sat in a circle and each person would stand up and announce who he was dedicating his jacket to before putting it on and zipping it up. The point of dedicating our jackets was to recognize people who have helped us get where we are today and to think about who we want to put on our jacket for each day to make them proud. I dedicated my jacket to all of you-to everyone who has ever had an impact on my life to make me the person I am today.

The ceremony was long, and we got out of work an hour later than usual. When we got home, Beth, Bernard, and I went to the gym, but only for a little while because the arthritis in my knees really started to bother me.

Two more days of BTA!!!

-Aly

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, so where's the picture of you in your uniform???

Anonymous said...

Alyssa,

I'm glad everything is working greatly in Miami. I want to hear from you, so please call me when you're free. I'm pretty busy as well, but probably not as much as you, so if I don't answer I apologize in advance.

Jose

Anonymous said...

I am honored for your dedication. But if you REALLY miss me, you have to mention me in EVERY post you make from here on out. You heard me, EVERY post. I'll be watching!

p.s. Yes, I am a pain in the ass
p.p.s. Don't make me cry
p.p.p.s. Do it!
p.p.p.p.s. Yes, I swore on your post.
p.p.p.p.p.s. My bad
p.p.p.p.p.p.s. Not really
p.p.p.p.p.p.p.s. Am I done yet?
p.p.p.p.p.p.p.p.s. NEVER!!!!