Friday, September 26, 2008

206 Hrs.

I am now officially a City Year corps member! Whoo hoo!

This morning, I had to wake up extra early to take a bus out to South Beach, which is where our Opening Ceremony was held. For the first couple of hours we spent the time practicing the ceremony. After that, a few of us were able to go the the Champions' Reception where we would mingle with the people who made City Year Miami possible.

At noon, our Opening Day Ceremony began. The whole thing was awesome because of the incredibly high level of energy that the corp and everyone else in the audience had. The ceremony was about an hour long, and featured speakers such as the CEO of City Year, the Senior Vice President of City Smith Barney, members of the Miami-Dade County School Board and the Board of Commissioners, and a City Year Alumnus from City Year's first corp in 1988.

When the ceremony ended, everyone headed out to do a few hours of community service. I painted and helped garden, and other members of the corp completed various other projects in Liberty City.

City Year officially begins for me on Monday-I can't wait!!!

-Aly

P.S. Jose, here is the shout out I promised you! ; )

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your blog and CY. A minor issue--It's corps with a "s". Have fun in Miami

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're having a blast!

Oh, and send me a shoutout since my bday was yesterday and I didn't receive a text or call from you lovely!